The 'Bruce' build thread

Show off your caddy
Gogs_101
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

The 'Bruce' build thread

Post by Gogs_101 »

So, kicking this off a place to dump some progress shots and ask some bone questions to the forum until I've got full forum access.

Bought this white Caddy on 163k miles and stacks of service history last week.

Current jobs are:
-Oil and air filter service (stamped recently but I like to know it's done myself)
-Fix the leaky screen wash squirters
-Slightly stronger headlights as the current ones are notably dim
-Upgrade door speakers and add dash tweeters, current door speakers are blown and fuzzyImage

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Gogs_101
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: The 'Bruce' build thread

Post by Gogs_101 »

I should also explain, the vans called Bruce as the reg plate says GDY at the end, which to me means he's saying G'day every time I see him, hence Bruce.

Anyway, today I've fitted some Halfords 150% Brighter H4 bulbs on a recommendation from this forum.

Used a bit of super glue on the split parts of the screen wash hose where it bends into the jet - a temporary solution perhaps but at least now the jets reach the middle of the windscreen.

Also replaced the cracked old top tail light, which was a more fiddly job than I anticipated. The replacement light came with a rubber seal/gasket type thing, that I found was far too thick to allow the screws to reach the back of the light fitting through the inside of the rear door. Instead, I've fitted the light without a seal and gone round the edge with some white silicon beading. Benefit of a white van I suppose.

I'll see how this holds up in time but I'm optimistic as it's fairly flexible and has held my bath to the wall nicely for a while!ImageImage

Gogs_101
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gogs_101 »

Not a terrible job I'd sayImage

Gogs_101
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gogs_101 »

The issue I'm having now is in understanding replacement speakers - plenty of threads on here advise I need 165mm/6.5in speakers for the doors, but the aperture left after removing the door card and drilling out the old speaker stand rivets is 170mm, with bolt holes at just under 200mm across.

Halfords amongst others sell a VW speaker adapter set, that replaces the plastic surround that the old speakers sit it - am I best off getting one of these to mount new speakers to? Or will a fairly shallow 165mm speaker sit right into the metal hole shown with a few self-tapping screws holding it secure?

Open to any advice on this, and apologies I'm sure this is covered somewhere in the technical section I'm yet to achieve access to!ImageImageImage

snuffegull
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by snuffegull »

You should probably go the adapter route.
There are also vw specific speakers that are plug and play on the market
like these for example
https://www.focal.com/products/is-vw-180
Gogs_101
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gogs_101 »

@snuffegull thanks for the advice, I was leaning that way for simplicity.

Ordered the Vibe Optisound VW kit after seeing a few mentions of it on here, and with it being a few tokens cheaper than the Focal kit, plus includes tweeters for the dash.

Ambrose2KN
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Ambrose2KN »

Yeah theres loads of adaprers avilable on ebay or amazon, i just installed Focal 165ac in the fronts and its much improved. You'll also need some m4 nuts/bolts/washers or something similar to fit the adapters but its very easy to fit.
1.9TDi 104bhp BLS, Ex-BG LWB Cargo.