My new caddy

Show off your caddy
snuffegull
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: My new caddy

Post by snuffegull »

My foglights that were meant to be on the van for the event last weekend showed up now :lol:

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

That looks really clean. Looks like you know your way around a spray gun too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
akerstrom
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by akerstrom »

I think we should trade vans for a week so mine can get some fresh paint on aswell :lol:
Topher L
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Topher L »

Loving what you've done so far dude! Are the mirrors a straight swap?
kart27
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by kart27 »

Some nice work going on. Like the improvements you’ve made.
snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

Thank you guys!
Topher L wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:24 pmAre the mirrors a straight swap?
They are a straight fit and the wiring was also plug and play.
the swan fiend wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:34 pm That looks really clean. Looks like you know your way around a spray gun too! Image
I am some what capable with a praygun, but i am a panel beater by trade, i'm most comfortable with metal work, plastic repairs and paint prep. I tend to let either my old man, who has been a painter for nearly 40 years, or colleagues at work hold the gun most of the time to ensure it turns out well :lol:
I always do the bodywork, but only occationally the final spray job

I've only been doing a few minor things on the van, i decided to re do the grille as it was only temporairly rattle canned for the event, and that stuff got ugly after the first wash with degreaser as expected, so i just redid it with black base and semi gloss clear, over a texture coat, but it didnt turn out the way i wanted, too glossy, gotta re clear it in full matte clear.
Still gotta install the new fogs, and i gotta get some LED resistors for the dynamic turn signals as they throw canbus errors almost daily.

I've had a few weird boost issues recently also, i think its just the variable vanes in the turbo that needs to be cleaned out though.
snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

The caddy is off the road for a bit, as i have a non working ABS fault to sort out. (G201 brake preassure sensor)
There's a local specialized shop who rebuilds these, and i intended to have em do mine weeks ago, but they had just closed for vacation, so had to wait untill they opened back up today, a bit of a bummer as today is also my last day of MOT :lol:

Just took the ABS unit out of the van and delivered it to the shop, hopefully i'll have it back later this week :) Hope i only ever need to do this once, as it wasnt a fun job, a real knuckle buster :mad: :lol:

Jkkarlberg
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Jkkarlberg »

Great job.

How much in SEK for the tail lights at vw dealer?
snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

Thank you!
I belive they were around 1000sek each or something like that
Sengh
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Sengh »

nice build dude! what's the other button on the heater controls?
snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

Thank you!

You mean the one to the right of the ac button? its for a webasto diesel heater, quite a common factory option here in Sweden. Also starts with a keyfob.

Ive been bad at updating this, but i got the abs unit back from the rebuild, and its working perfectly again!

Also had some bad luck, failed MOT due to particle desity a few weeks ago, got until the 19th to sort it out for a retest.
Turns out ive prolly had a small boost leak for a while. As i put some diesel system cleaner in her shortly after to see if that would help it smoke less, and went for a very spirited "italian tune up", and exploded the boost hose between the intercooler and the inlet manifold, and after further investigations i could see that it had been rubbing against the body of the alternator, so it was probably already a small leak there for a while, wich would make sense with some symptoms i have had on and off for a while, (occational lack of boost, stutters at full throtle every now and then, and a few random limp modes)
Ive changed the hose and its a lot better, but i suspect i could have another leak in the system. Ill do some leak tests and a full service within the next few days.
snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

I havent really updated for a while, as i've mostly been driving it, and some minor tinkering here and there and picking up lots of goddies.

Thats about to change though! Currently in the process of stripping her down and starting bodywork for a full respray and color change :D

snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

Some progress

I've found more rust than expected, wich is always the case :lol: gotta fab some repair peices up myself for those. Spending all easter in the shop :P
snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

Got this thing ready to go in after i give it a good scrub, still got that junkyard filth on it :lol:
snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

Done another 10 hours of work in the bodyshop today. Mainly rot repairs and disassembly. Also found old bondo in places i gotta sort out properly..

All drain holes on the left sill were rotted out, so i had to do this to all of them. On the right side all of them are mint though :?

Also sand blasted some crusty stuff like the rear door hinges, going to do a few more things tomorrow.

basically the only things left to disassemble now are the roof antenna and to cut the windscreen out. All doors and everything are fully stripped