Micro Camper Daily Driver Build

Show off your caddy
PJD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Micro Camper Daily Driver Build

Post by PJD »

Back in November I was looking at a suitable van for a daily driver that I could convert as a project into a micro camper.

I test drove a lovely looking 18 plate Highline with 102K in met grey, but no documented service history at £13.5K and a few imperfections it was pushing my budget too far leaving me with little for the conversion costs.

Back on autorader I saw this. For a Startline had air con and MFSW and aftermarket reverse sensors so had some of the nice features of the highline without the price, was 91K and just 6 months older.

Not as much of a looker as the more expensive van but had all the paperwork, showing major services and the important cam belt service at 60K.

Last edited by PJD on Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PJD
100BHP+

Re: Micro Camper Day Van Buld

Post by PJD »

One of the first things I did was remove the black film from the rear windows and go to a scrap yard to pick up a rear view mirror.

While I was there I spotted a Caddy Maxi Life and picked up the coverted side rail covers, albeit in the wrong colour so embarked on sanding down and respraying.

https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 25#p452225
PJD
100BHP+

Post by PJD »

As this is a budget camper build I can't justify buying larger alloys and tyres. So bought a set of Highline alloys with a couple of good tyres to replace my worn front ones for £185.

The original steels not surprising sold quickly for £75

Giving them a good clean, I noticed one had been kerbed and refurbished. To add to that the place I took them to swap tyres over added more damage . I only spotted this a couple of weeks later. Really annoying but for little outlay the van looks less (white trade van)

Last edited by PJD on Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJD
100BHP+

Post by PJD »

I recently paid to have some windows fitted to the side doors instead of doing it myself for these reasons.

You need a dry space or a dry day.
Though you can use an angle grinder or jigsaw to remove the metal, a metal nibbler seems the best way to do it.
If you get it wrong the the windows can leak and the only way to really remedy this to remove the glass and try again which is a really awkward thing to do.
It's one of those jobs where the cost is reasonable to let the professionals do.

AceCaddi
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Micro Camper Daily Driver Build

Post by AceCaddi »

PJD wrote:I recently paid to have some windows fitted to the side doors instead of doing it myself for these reasons.

You need a dry space or a dry day.
Though you can use an angle grinder or jigsaw to remove the metal, a metal nibbler seems the best way to do it.
If you get it wrong the the windows can leak and the only way to really remedy this to remove the glass and try again which is a really awkward thing to do.
It's one of those jobs where the cost is reasonable to let the professionals do.

Windows? did you have both sides done?

I’ve got a pair of side windows to put in but been putting it off because of the weather and time. I’m going to attempt them myself but I understand the worry of messing them up etc haha. Measure twice and cut once Image

Looks really good Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PJD
100BHP+

Post by PJD »

Yes both sides. The other is a slider.

For me fitting the windows became a bottleneck to continuing the interior and I couldn't foresee a dry day anytime soon. Sounds like you are in the same situation. Carpeting seemed pointless if I was going to create lots of metal dust later so was holding off making progress.

When I got my van MOTed I dropped by a nearby campervan converter on the same unit and the price and convenience sold me.

Would have loved the satisfaction of doing it myself but won't be my last van conversation.
snuffegull
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by snuffegull »

Looking good!
PJD
100BHP+

Post by PJD »

Thank you
The wheels, side rails and windows have cost me £650 some of which I would have had to spend on 2 new tyres anyway.

I think it has changed the outside appearance enough for now. Though might add a boot spoiler and paint the mirror caps in future.
PJD
100BHP+

Post by PJD »

When updating my insurance I asked about putting decals/stickers on the van. Turns out that it actually reduced my premium if I have decals that are decorative.

Why add decals at all.
Well the black plastic bumpers on the white Caddy is a bit of a quandary.
They are very practical in black but not very attractive. Painting them is a choice but not sure how long they will they will look good before the paint chips and looks worse than being left black, all white Caddy's IMO don't carry off the body coloured bumper look as well as some of the other colours do. Then there is the expense. Probably £400+

So do I paint them or embrace to the utilitarian look and try to make them fit in with the purpose of this camper conversion.

So chosen a low cost option. Found some decals online that look the part. Bought the big ones for the side of to to the van. I only have a small vinyl cutter and some remnants of vinyl but made a matching decal for the back.
Last edited by PJD on Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJD
100BHP+

Post by PJD »

Not the most exciting thing to add insulation to the van but one of those jobs that has to be done first.
Add the cable for the reverse mirror monitor for the rear camera at the same time.

There seems to be a hundred different jobs that have to happen before I can even consider adding furniture to my camper

Mains cable protected in flexible conduit. This is for the induction hob. The other side is similar but for electric hook up if I decide to fit it.

Mains runs in the rear step. Even that was not easy. There is small sections of conduit protecting the wires that run to the rear lights. This is probably so that the wires don't get crushed by the step. These have to be removed first as there is not enough space for two conduits under the step.
Last edited by PJD on Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stu_b
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by stu_b »

The rear vinyl looks good
You've done a good job
What would add a bit of "insurance pleasing decoration" would be some greenery like trees on your mountains 🌲🌲

Have you affixed the side vinyl ?
Show us some pics too 😉

Nice work n detail on the electrical n the insulation on the rear, it's all coming to fruition 🍓🍑

Must be getting close to being finish
PJD
100BHP+

Post by PJD »

stu_b wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:50 am The rear vinyl looks good
You've done a good job
What would add a bit of "insurance pleasing decoration" would be some greenery like trees on your mountains 🌲🌲

Have you affixed the side vinyl ?
Show us some pics too 😉

Nice work n detail on the electrical n the insulation on the rear, it's all coming to fruition 🍓🍑

Must be getting close to being finish
Thank you.
I had a different design in mind that had the mountains and a green detail. I drew it up but realised I couldn't cut it out on my vinyl cutter and so went with something I could purchase and just replicated the rear one as I had by then told the insurance company that I had a sticker.
PJD
100BHP+

Post by PJD »

Making the second set of door storage panels. Already done the right hand barn door. Card model will next be drawn up on CAD and cut out on the laser cutter. Benefit is I can mirror for the other side
Last edited by PJD on Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
stu_b
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by stu_b »

That's really using every bit of space available
I really like it
Jealous
This is very similar to what mangrovejack did on his build

Have a look at his full build but here are some pics of his doors
I recall him saying about door rub on the rear wheels when opening so pls be careful

https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 75#p438375
PJD
100BHP+

Post by PJD »

Thanks for the link. Will be looking at what mangrovejack has done.

The door cards won't come out anymore then the existing one. But yes certainly need to be careful what is stored in it. I would probably put soft goods. Packet foods, t towels for camping etc.