Installing Leisure Battery with B2B charger, D+ Terminal Cable Wire

Show off your caddy
ryanfinch
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Installing Leisure Battery with B2B charger, D+ Terminal Cable Wire

Post by ryanfinch »

Hi guys, had caddys for the past 10 years or so. Been on the forum for quite some time now.

Current van is a 2017(67) Maxi 2.0TDI euro 6 Highline.

Currently Installing a Leisure battery in my van for work use (charging power tool batteries on the go etc) & after countless hours of research and wire tracing, I am struggling to obtain the information I require.

I am actually starting to wonder if it is even possible to achieve what I am attempting to do?

I have a Renogy DC to DC 20 amp battery charger.
The charger requires a 12v signal to operate.
The 12v signal wants to be live ONLY when the engine is running.
The installation manual states to use a "D+" signal from the alternator for this.
After a day of fiddling about, I am now under the belief that my caddy alternator doesn't have a D+ terminal or connection available.

I have found the plastic plug on my alternator only has one cable to it, a (Red/Brown wire) which appears to just be permanently live.

Can anybody help inform me where I can source a 12v signal that is fairly accessible and only live when the engine is running? (or if there even is one?)

I have also noticed that my heated windscreen switch will only work when the engine is running... Is there any way to utilise this?

Thanks in Advance :D Finchy