Caddy Maxi Turbo BLS

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
MHH
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Caddy Maxi Turbo BLS

Post by MHH »

Hi!
Do I need to remove the subframe to remove the turbo from my 2010 vw caddy maxi? Engine code is BLS. I have a little oil and exhaust leak coming from around the exhaust manifold, cant find exactly where the leak is coming from, but it looks to be around the manifoild, and I have a bit of soot on the intake side of the turbo,(at least I think it is intake side(?), could that be the egr? Its not running as smooth as I was expecting when its idling to.

Best regards
PeterAFox
200BHP+

Re: Caddy Maxi Turbo BLS

Post by PeterAFox »

Well it depends :-) To get the turbo off, yes.
But before you do that I would get a VCDS on it and check out everything possible.
You can clean out and even take off egr etc. without removing subframe (or at least I can on mine)

It's a lot of work to get the subframe off - if you have to then I would recommend downloading the manuals from Erwin (VW online) and giving them a good read first - some things are just much easier if you look before you leap, e.g. getting the subframe back in the right position. Some of the bolts are 'use-once' so worth sourcing them first (in my experience VW dealers are the cheapest for these, believe it or not)
MHH
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MHH »

Thanks for the reply, not the answer I was hoping for but was expecting it. :P I think I'm going to remove the egr cooler and egr valve and install egr delete kit, probably easier to remove the cooler with the subframe down, and when and if the subframe is down its worth checking or removing the turbo aswell imo. But I'm glad you mentioned the bolts, that did not cross my mind. I just need to manage to get some motivation first haha :shock:
PeterAFox
200BHP+

Post by PeterAFox »

You can (just about) change the egr cooler without taking the subframe off.

My tips/experiences:
- allow some time and check things out (so worth having alternative transport)
- I've found the PDF manuals from VW Erwin to be invaluable and cost less than €10 to download (plus loads of other stuff - 1 hour is enough time)
- if using axle stands, get some bigger ones as it gives you more space underneath. Take extra care that it's on solid ground / stably supported
- some of the cheap egr coolers are very low quality (I had to immediately replace a brand new one)
- it's a good opportunity to change tie bars, wheel bearings, TB, suspension, brakes etc. if needed as there's loads of space. In practice one needs to drop subframe to also take off the cylinder head so if you need new valves or piston rings... ;)
- use a trolley board to lower subframe onto (small jack underneath), then it can just be wheeled out the way
- I added electrical connectors to the cables just before the subframe (wires that go to steering rack - mine is electrical - some are hydraulic) so I can just disconnect them and drop the subframe (saves having to mess around disconnecting the cables 'within' the subframe). Bit of an effort really so if you don't intend to do it again, may not be worth it

Steering column is easier to connect / disconnect from steering rack than I would have thought.

Good luck.
BenT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by BenT »

Might it be possible to remove it from above by disconnecting the upper engine mounts, supporting the engine on a beam and then pulling the whole lot forward? It might be necessary to remove things from the front of the engine to give enough room though. This worked on my Octavia, and was easier for me than resorting to removing the subframe and doing it from below.
PeterAFox
200BHP+

Post by PeterAFox »

Yes. I was thinking about that. I've read quite a few people take the engine out to do such things - some claim it's much easier. Now I have an engine crane I understand it. The front bumper comes off fairly easily (I don't just mean the plastic front bit), the radiator is the biggest pain. If there's enough head/roof space one can lift it over the bumper/ radiator and leave them in but one needs to ge careful when lowering it back in that turbo and aircon pipes are not damaged, but it is definitely possible.
I put a new engine block in mine last year yhis way and was fairly surprised that I could do it all myself without major disaster.

The biggest frustration for me is that my garage is rather small.
The VW docs for the touran explain this better than caddy docs (bls engine) although also not completely.